Til Death Do Us Part? Seriously??

In Cabo this week, one of the guys that sell you stuff told me if I was single, I’d get 100$ credit to a local resort plus a full day of a beach cabana. Take off your ring and go tomorrow and I’ll hook you up. Bring the kids…single moms are great. Just no husbands.

Hmmm…Craig and I have been married for 13 years. That’s a looong time in my book. And, well, he drives me a little nuts sometimes.

None of my kids nap anymore. Except Craig. So, even though we are out of the nap stage with all 3 kids, we still have to rush back to our house on weekends for dad’s naptime. He always loses things that are super important, although I had never heard of their existence until the moment he loses it. Then, I must be the one who moved it. (Of course, most of the time that important paper is right on his desk or in his backpack, or at his office.)

Craig has two distinct other personalities. Cranky Craig when he is tired and crabby and Crabby Craig when he’s hungry. They are so much a part of our lives that I bought them each a Hanukkah present this year. Cranky Craig got a stress relief ball.

My husband is a glass half empty kind of guy. He always looks at every stressful situation with doom and gloom. He never suggests restaurants, he only responds negatively to the ones I suggest until one sounds good to him. He doesn’t seem to remember that the kids bedtime is the same every night; usually when I ask for help he says, “oh, I didn’t know it was time for bed.” And then he proceeds to wrestle with them. He doesn’t obsess over The Daily Show or Saturday Night Live like I do. He thinks I buy Aidan too many Legos.

But….he thinks I’m funny. And he’s great at cleaning up after parties. He does dishes and (his own) laundry. He always has my back and will cry at the same movies I do. He knows when I’m stressed out and need time to myself. He is all for girls weekends and doesn’t complain when I take one. He doesn’t gamble or smoke or drink that much (although he does exercise to excess and wears these awful biking outfits that I call his meggings- man leggings) His idea of a perfect night is the same as mine: dinner at 5, followed by a 6:30 movie and bed by 9.

And he told me that he wants Sam to do this tour so much that if I don’t think I can handle it, then he’d quit his job and take him. And he was serious.

He finds the same joy in our kids as I do. And for today, that’s pretty good. Will we be feeding each other soup in the old folks home in 20 years? I’m not sure. But mostly because the soup may have too many calories.

20121227-080341.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Til Death Do Us Part? Seriously??

1. Carole cogs says:

We have been married 46 years and we r not in the old folks home yet. Or even close. So no soup yet. U have a long long time

2. Sue stegemoller says:

How you manage to make me laugh and cry with these posts I don’t know but keep em coming!

3. Beth Kozura says:

Well, I have to tell you if you dare to start wearing the bike shorts, you will get it and you will start to think Craig even looks hot in them, but you really don’t have time to try on those shorts, let alone find time to ride a bike. I guess the pros outweigh the cons, so Craig is safe for now!

4. DJ says:

When I start feeling annoyed with my husband, I remind myself of the scene in Goodwill Hunting, when Robin Williams’ character is talking about his dead wife. I can’t do it justice, so I’ll just quote it below..

“Sean: My wife used to fart when she was nervous. She had all sorts of wonderful little idiosyncrasies. She used to fart in her sleep. I thought I’d share that with you. One night it was so loud it woke the dog up. She woke up and went ‘ah was that you?’ And I didn’t have the heart to tell her. Oh!
    Will: She woke herself up?
    Sean: Ah…! But Will, she’s been dead for 2 years, and that’s the shit I remember: wonderful stuff you know? Little things like that. Those are the things I miss the most. The little idiosyncrasies that only I know about: that’s what made her my wife. Oh she had the goods on me too, she knew all my little peccadilloes. People call these things imperfections, but there not. Ah, that’s the good stuff.

~ Robin Williams as Sean Maguire, Matt Damon as Will Hunting.”

5. DJ says:

Also, he doesn’t need to be perfect, he just needs to be perfect for you and you for him.

6. Linda says:

The way you described Craig…..you could have been writing about my husband. (Except for the bicycle shorts :-). We need to arrange a “play date” for them. Hahaha!