I saw Def Leppard in concert twice. I also saw, among others: Lenny Kravetz, Sting, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Dave Matthews, The Beastie Boys, Run DMC and Billy Joel. That was all over 20 years ago. In the past 12 years, I saw, in concert, The Wiggles (3 times).
Growing up, we used to make fun of my mom because she thought every single song on the radio was sung by DeBarge. (DeBarge, by the way, made one song.) But to her, the songs of my generation all sounded the same.
Tonight, watching the 2014 Grammys, I felt like my mom. I had no idea who half the people on the show were. I kept calling them all Macklemore.
I watched the Grammys as only a 42 year old mother of 3 can: completely confused and judgmental. And so, here are the questions I posed to myself as I watched this show:
1. Beyonce did not give birth. Ever. (That was not a question. It was a statement.)
2. Why doesn’t someone pin back Taylor Swift’s hair? It is obviously bothering her eyes.
3. Were Robin Thicke and Kirk Cameron friends growing up? They must have hung out on the Growing Pains set, right?
4. Why are those robots wearing helmets to accept their award? Are they afraid Justin Bieber will throw eggs at them?
5. So Pink is not married to the Sunglasses At Night guy, right? It’s a different guy.
6. Why is Ringo Star dancing like he’s at his nieces wedding? He’s got the white man’s overbite thing going.
7. So Lorde is not Madonna’s daughter?
8. What is the difference between the song of the year vs the album of the year and record of the year? They all sound like the same thing. Is it some hipster thing I don’t get?
9. How adorable are Chicago’s song lyrics : “Saturday in the park.. I think it was the 4th of July… People laughing, people smiling.. a man selling ice cream..” They were like your grandparents at Thanksgiving. You just want to cuddle with them by the fire and hear more stories about the old days.
10. What was Jamie Fox smoking backstage and was he doing it with Willie Nelson? How much fun would it be to party with Wllie?
11. Why don’t these people take their sunglasses off when they are onstage? Is it sunny in the stadium?
I’m sure a lot more things happened tonight on the Grammys but it was 9:30 and that’s when I go to bed.
I’ll watch it tomorrow on my DvD. Or DVR. Or whatever you kids are calling it these days.
Maybe I’ll go to a concert this year. I’d love to see Katy Perry. But I’m worried it will be too loud and too crowded. And it will end after 11 pm which is too late for me to drive home in the dark with my eyes. Maybe they will have a matinee? Do concerts have matinees? They should.
Ugh, forget it. Ill just see a movie. As long as it starts before 7 pm.